Sunday, November 2, 2008

Pollack vs. Rothko












So I was having a conversation with a friend who detests Pollack's art but loves Rothko's. So I told him why and was met with an immediate, "GET OUT OF MY HEAD!" I guess that means I was right. Muahaha. I think Pollack is simply about dancing with paint on a stick and seeing what happens, so it's about a lack of structure, and Rothko has a formula- something that you can wrap your brain around. They're both about emotion through color, but one is emotion within reason and the other is just about letting emotion take over. I think that's the kicker- it's hard to just let it all go.

1 comment:

Kory said...

You just explained to me why I like both Rothko and Pollack. I didn't like Pollack at first,but do now. Who was that discussion with? HAHA. (this is the Hurricane Mom)